Friday, July 15, 2011

Go Left or Right?


In the park, I found myself faced with the choice of going left or right at a trail junction. Right would have taken me the way I always go, and left would have taken me a new way. Pausing for a moment, my mind wanted to go the way I always go because I had an appointment to get to, but something deeper said, "Go the other way."

I tend to follow those deeper voices because they never let me down.

It's a good thing I went the other way because further down the trail, I came upon a woman who had just broken her ankle while trying to dance with her grandson down the dirt path. A few more helpful strangers and a cell phone call to 911 rescued this lovely lady from her agony. I didn't do much more than look after her grandsons and give her some water while we waited for the ambulance, but I feel like if I wasn't there, it could have been worse.

The instant warmth and sense of kinship between people helping people is one I will never forget.

No comments: