Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Death by Salt or Magnifying Glass?

While harvesting more raspberries, Papa Bean and I were discussing things we did as children. This topic came up because my parents had a raspberry farm and I used to pick (eat) raspberries when I was small.

Aside from getting raspberry belly aches, I used to salt slugs. Ever done it? It's disgusting and fascinating all at once. I'm not sure if my mom condoned this behaviour. I remember the salt shaker we had was a ceramic one with really big holes so the salt poured out super fast. Those slugs were doomed. I'm pretty sure a bunch of good karma oozed away from me faster than those slugs cringed and shriveled up.

Papa Bean was not as grossed out as I expected, and in return actually surprised me with his childhood activity: "I burned ants with a magnifying glass." What?! That also sounds disgusting and fascinating. He said, "The sun was hot, so it literally took seconds for them to burn and smoke."

We are a couple of weirdos. I hope Little Bean knows who he has for parents. For what it's worth, I hope the buck stops here and Little Bean stays clear of finding disgusting and fascinating methods of killing small insects and the like.

No comments: