Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Reduce

Remember that ol' slogan, "Reduce Reuse Recycle"? Well, I'm taking on the Reduce part in a specific way related to the S-word: Stuff.

We're definitely on the road to less, but where less equals more. Confused? Sure. It may seem strange, but we feel like we would be happier with less stuff. Less stuff for us means buying less stuff, and getting rid of lots of the stuff we already have. It's about having enough, but not too much. 'Cuz too much stuff means we are drowning in clutter. I don't know about you, but I'm no good at treading water, and when I'm surrounded by stuff I feel like I can't stay afloat. When my space is sparse, I feel more open in mind and body and there is room for opportunity and a higher quality of life.

Following blogs has been a good source of inspiration. Take, for example, The Minimalist Mom.

There are also TED Talks about the topic, like Graham Hill, Less is More.

This idea, instigated in our family by my husband, has slowly made a difference through our actions. We decline buying something just because it's on sale. We continuously attempt to de-clutter our living spaces. We have a big pile in the basement ready for the next garage sale, so in everyday life when we come across something we don't think we need anymore it can go down in the pile instead of leaving it where it is for lack of knowing where else to put it. We save money. We aren't sucked into instant gratification. We feel a nice sense of freedom. Freedom from attachment to stuff. So far, it's a pretty sweet way of life.

My current project involves cutting my wardrobe down by 50%. I started this a few days ago and have about a third of my clothes in a 'give away or sell' bin. I still have a bit of a challenge ahead, but it sure does feel good to pare down to what I need. Or at least what I think I need at this point. More to come on this and reducing Little Bean's wardrobe too.

One last note about this before I head out: I realize the total luxury I have in being able to reduce what I own. Not everyone has this privilege.

No comments: